Walt Whitman is considered by many critics to be one of the first truly original American poets. He certainly started something new that set him apart from all the poets that came before him.
Choose an element that you find interesting in one of the poems assigned in this module from Leaves of Grass or Drum-Taps. For your essay post, point out the element and explain why you find it interesting.
Leaves of Grass:
- “Song of Myself”: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/174745
- “I Sing the Body Electric”: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/1
Whitman served as a nurse during the American Civil War and wrote very moving poetry to document his experiences.
- “Beat! Beat! Drums!”: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/174737
- “Calvary Crossing a Ford”: http://www.bartleby.com/142/118.html
- “Vigil Strange I Kept on the Field One Night”: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/174746
- “The Wound-Dresser “: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/237970
1. 350 words in length
2.Cite your sources
3. Do not plagiarize
“Is this question part of your assignment? We Can Help!”