This contains 100% correct material for UMUC Biology 103 LAB03. However, this is an Answer Key, which means, you should put it in your own words. Here is a sample for the Pre lab questions answered:
1. Identify the major similarities and differences between prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells. (2 pts)
Prokaryotes tend to be less complex than eukaryotic cells, with fewer organelles and (generally) fewer requirements for survival. Eukaryotes have a nucleus, while prokaryotes do not. Both eukaryotes and prokaryotes have DNA, a cell membrane, and cytoplasm.
2. Where is the DNA housed in a prokaryotic cell? Where is it housed in a eukaryotic cell? (2 pts)
DNA is housed in the nucleus in eukaryotic cells. Prokaryotic cells do not have a nucleus, and thus DNA exists freely in the cytoplasm.
3. Identify three structures which provide support and protection in a eukaryotic cell. (2 pts)
The cell membrane, the cytoplasm, and the cytoskeleton (microtubules, microfilaments, etc.).
The rest of the questions are answered as well:
Experiment 1: Cell Structure and Function
1. Label each of the arrows in the following slide image:
2. What is the difference between the rough and smooth endoplasmic reticulum?
3. Would an animal cell be able to survive without a mitochondria? Why or why not?
4. the major similarities
5. Hypothesize why parts of a plant, such as the leaves, are green, but other parts, such as the roots, are not. Use scientific reasoning to support your hypothesis.
Experiment 2: Osmosis – Direction and Concentration Gradients
Data Tables and Post-Lab Assessment
“Is this question part of your assignment? We Can Help!”