MEDICARE, MEDICAID, AND THIRD-PARTY PAYORS (INSURANCE COMPANIES) APPROVED AND PAID $5,640,000 OF THE $8,355,000 BILLED BY THE HOSPITAL DURING THE YEAR (PLEASE REVIEW TRANSACTION #1).
During the fiscal year of June 2012, Jefferson General Hospital, a not-for-profit healthcare organization, had the following revenue-related transactions. (The amounts are summarized for the entire year.)
(1) Healthcare services that are provided to inpatients and outpatients amounted to $9,640,000, of which $420,000 were for charity cases, $865,000 was paid by uninsured patients, and $8,355,000 was billed to Medicare, Medicaid, and other insurance companies.
(2) Pharmaceutical drugs and medicines sold by the hospital pharmacy amounted to $830,000, all of which was paid by the customer or the insurance companies.
(3) Medicare, Medicaid, and third-party payors (insurance companies) approved and paid $5,640,000 of the $8,355,000 billed by the hospital during the year (please review transaction #1).
(4) A contribution of $4,000,000 (of which is unconditional) was received in cash from a donor to construct a new facility for cancer patients. The full amount is expendable for that purpose. No activity has taken place during the current year.
(5) A total of $810,000 was received from the following activities/sources: cafeteria and gift shop sales, $630,000, unrestricted transfers from the Claremont Hospital Foundation, $110,000, and fees for medical transcripts, $70,000.
(6) The allowance for uncollectible receivables was increased by $1,350.
a. Record the preceding transactions in general journal form.
b. Prepare the unrestricted revenues, gains, and other support section of Jefferson General Hospital’s statement of operations for the current year.
The post MEDICARE, MEDICAID, AND THIRD-PARTY PAYORS (INSURANCE COMPANIES) APPROVED AND PAID $5,640,000 OF THE $8,355,000 BILLED BY THE HOSPITAL DURING THE YEAR (PLEASE REVIEW TRANSACTION #1). appeared first on My Nursing Paper.