Describe the company’s strategy and identify which of Michael Porter’s Generic Principles for Competitive Advantage are being utilized
In this project, you will analyze the strategy of a company by using Michael Porter’s Generic principles for Competitive Advantage. You will also analyze direction-setting and environmental analysis data to establish connections between them and the company’s strategy.
After completing this assignment, you will be able to:
Analyze a corporate strategy using Porter’s model.
Identify factors that lead a company to select their strategy.
Every business needs a competitive advantage to survive. A strategy is based on direction-setting and environmental analysis data generated in response to the competitive environment in which a company works. A well-formulated strategy will lead to the prized core competency and competitive advantage for a company and will ultimately add value for the customers and stakeholders.
Be sure to complete preparation assignments 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3.
Computer with an internet connection
Keynote or PowerPoint software
This project requires adding an audio narration to your slides
Adding audio narration to Keynote Slides
If you are using Keynote, please watch the following video tutorial if needed: Make a Narrated Video in Keynote 2013. This video tutorial for the 2013 version of Keynote works exactly the same for the newest version of Keynote.
Adding audio narration using PowerPoint:
If you are using Powerpoint as your presentation software, watch the following LinkedIn Learning video if needed Adding audio, part of Learning PowerPoint 2016 by John Garrick Chow.
All LAFS students have access to LinkedIn Learning (formerly called Lynda.com). If you are asked to sign up for a “Free Trial,” do not use the Free Trial option, instead just sign in using your LA Film email address.
- Review the Company Strategy options available below. Select one of the Company Strategy options to work with for this project.
NOTE: If you would like to use a different company strategy in this project (for instance, one you may be familiar with), submit your proposed company and its strategy concept to your instructor for approval no later than Wednesday of Week 3.
- Review the company strategy option you selected and conduct further research as necessary to complete numbers 3 & 4 below.
- Describe the company’s strategy and identify which of Michael Porter’s Generic Principles for Competitive Advantage are being utilized. Explain if you agree or disagree with this choice and provide your reason why you agree or disagree.
- Explain why you think this strategy was chosen. What do you think were the likely direction-setting and analysis results (the “Critical Few”) that led to the strategy decision? This may come from the article you have read or the research you have done. Or you may hypothesize and provide your best ideas on what may have led to the selected strategy.
- Develop an audio-visual presentation including images, text, and narration using Keynote or PowerPoint. Your presentation should include the following:
Your analysis of an entertainment business company strategy.
Your estimated direction-setting and analysis issues that may have led to the selected company strategy.
Your presentation should be approximately 5–10 slides in length.
None of these articles are comprehensive. Yet, they introduce relatively familiar companies and their stories. You should conduct your own research to supplement the information in the article you choose below as you analyze the company’s strategy.
- Amazon: Amazon Plans to “Significantly” Increase Investment in Video as It Goes to War with Netflix
- Facebook: Facebook’s 10-Year Strategy
- Electronic Arts: EA’s Movement Toward Micro-Transactions (Pay as You Go)
- STX Entertainment: How This Smaller Movie Studio is Succeeding in Hollywood by Breaking All of the Rules
Your Keynote or PowerPoint Video should be named as follows: LastName_FirstInitial_AssignmentTitle (for example, McDermott_R_StrategyFormulation)
Upload your presentation to the Completion box below.
The post Describe the company’s strategy and identify which of Michael Porter’s Generic Principles for Competitive Advantage are being utilized appeared first on edubrained.